Looking ahead at the coming school year, I now have some incredible tools to engage my students in different ways.  I am hopeful that allowing for student-led creative music making will help to keep more students in the music programs all the way through school.  Most interesting from Mr. Humberstone's video were the stats of where we stand in the mind of kids - all of them want to do music, just not the traditional way we learned...  kind of a jolt to a teacher with 22 years under his belt.  I am going to make a goal to allow more creative assignments and opportunities that will develop composition and improvisation skills in my students, digitally and on paper, at all levels. 
As a school, we have been plugging away at the traditional style of music ed - we keep a good number of students, but lose too many when they get to High School.  I see a benefit from a more creative aspect of melding styles that allows students to make music they like while learning to play and sing with excellence in a more traditional setting.
#MFLearn19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Group Work

Wow - eye opener!